Love Potions – The Pomegranate Margarita
Besides being the drink of the season, the pomegranate is now the fruit of choice with some added health benefits.
Here are five juicy pomegranate facts:
1. Pomegranates have more than three times the antioxidants of red wine or green tea.
2. Pomegranates have proven to decrease certain cancers and Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Pomegranates have proven to lower blood pressure and cholesterol as well as protect the arteries
4. Poemegranates have a rich taste that makes it desirable to eat and drink.
5. Although Pomegranates help us find the fountain of life, it is a fun and flirty drink to enjoy on a date.
Jan Finlayson shares her recipe with us for the Pomegranate Margarita for this month’s love potion.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups pomegranate juice (see Note)
1 cup añejo tequila
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
10 thin strips or slices of cucumber, for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and simmer over high heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved; let cool completely.
2. In a tall pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the pomegranate juice, tequila and lime juice. Stir well, fill the pitcher with ice and stir again. Pour into 10 margarita, martini or cordial glasses, garnish each with a cucumber strip and serve.
To make fresh pomegranate juice, cut the pomegranates in half crosswise and use a citrus juicer, preferably a large one, to extract the juice. One large pomegranate yields 1/3 cup of juice, which can be frozen for up to 6 months.