If you’re already friends on Facebook, the world’s largest social network is making it easy for you to send someone a Valentine’s gift this year, without having to leave the house or your computer behind. So don’t fret that Valentine’s is around the corner and you’re empty-handed.
All you need to do is visit the profile home page of the object of your affection or a friend you’d like to spoil this Valentine’s Day and click on the pink gift box with the pretty red ribbon. Select a gift within your budget and then choose an eCard to go along with the gift. You’ll have the option to share that you sent a gift to your friend, long-distance love, or someone you might have a digital crush on.
Facebook will notify the recipient that they’ve received a gift from you. They can then provide their address anonymously and be surprised when it arrives.
Even if their gift arrives after Valentine’s Day, they’ll know that you made the effort to select it in time. If they don’t accept the gift within 2 weeks, it will be automatically canceled and your credit card will be refunded.
Not sure which gifts to select?
Here are five gift ideas to send to the object of your affection, or your BFF.
iTunes Gift Card.
Who doesn’t love music? Let him or her pick their favorite love songs this Valentine’s Day. $10-$50.
Starbucks Gift Card.
If you went on a first date for coffee, and you know he or she is a caffeine junkie, you can memorialize the day with a gift card to Starbuck’s $5-25.
The L-O-V-E Strawberry Gram.
These six juicy, premium strawberries are hand-dipped in delicious dark Belgian chocolate and decorated with white chocolate lettering to spell L-O-V-E or drizzled with colorful confection. Presented in an elegant gift box, they’re the perfect Valentine’s treat for someone who’s been waiting to hear those special three words. $15.
Sending a gift to your single friend? Check out the Anti-Valentine’s Candy, which celebrates his or her single-hood. You can let your friend know it’s time to “Stop Kissing Frogs” or encourage them with “Plenty of Fish in the Sea” candies. $5.
Pick Up Lines Coaster Set.
Looking for a last minute date? Try these cute pick-up lines coasters or send a set to your single friends to help them if they’re feeling shy. From “Do you believe in love at first sight…Or should I walk by again?” to “Do you have a sunburn…Or are you always this hot?” they’re worth a chuckle or two. $15.
What do you want as a gift this Valentine’s Day?
Julie Spira is a top online dating expert and bestselling author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Fore online dating advice, visit CyberDatingExpert.com, follow @JulieSpira on Twitter and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert.
If the thought of chocolate candies and roses sounds so hum drum to you, we’ve come up with 10 fun and flirty Valentine’s Day things to do with your significant other or date, that will make it an evening to remember.
1. Take a Dance Class – Dancing to Tango music can be very romantic. Dress up for the occasion and find a class near you. If Tango isn’t your style, try salsa or hip-hop as an alternative. It will get your body moving and can get you in the mood for a romantic and memorable evening.
2. Book His-and-Her Massages – Having warm oil rubbed on your body is surely a treat. If your relationship hasn’t moved in that direction yet, book Swedish massages for the two of you in separate rooms, so you both can enjoy the experience and compare notes afterwards.
3. Create a Digital Scavenger Hunt – We know you’re attached to your mobile phones and tablets, so create a little mystery with your very own personalized scavenger hunt. Not sure where to start? Begin the day with a text message saying “Happy Valentine’s Day” along with the first clue. When she arrives at the destination, send her a second clue requesting a Skype or FaceTime chat where you can wish each other a happy Valentine’s Day, video style. Third, send another text message on where you’d like her to go next. Have her pampered with a manicure or pedicure to get ready for your big date night. Fourth, at the end of the day, post an e-card greeting on her Facebook page for her and her friends to “like.” Finally, send her a digital invitation with the exact location for your Valentine’s date. Remember to take photos along the way and share them on your Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram accounts.
4. Skate Away – Whether it’s ice-skating or roller-skating, take your valentine to the closest rink in town. You’ll find yourselves reminiscing about your childhood while you get a little physical activity. Remember to catch her if she falls.
5. Enjoy In-Room Dining – If you’ve waited until the last minute and realize that his or her favorite restaurant is already booked, pretend you’re on vacation and opt for an in-room dining alternative. Let her know that you’ll be bringing the appetizers and main course. Allow her to contribute the dessert to the menu. Create great ambiance with candles, music, and perhaps a bouquet of red tulips if roses aren’t in your budget.
6. Make it About Music – Find out if your date’s favorite band will be playing in town and surprise him or her with tickets to the show. At the end of the show, give your date a music CD so you can memorialize Valentine’s long after the date is over.
7. Go to a Wine Tasting – Many local wine bars allow you to stop by and taste several options before deciding on your favorite selection. Take your date to a location where you both can get a wine card for samples and compare notes. At the end of the night, buy him or her his favorite bottle for a future date on the calendar.
8.Take a Cooking Class – Men actually do enjoy being in the kitchen. Take him to a cooking class, where the two of you can whip up a spicy meal. Find a place to go for dessert together, with your menus in hand.
9. Go to a Fortune Teller – Does he love me, does he not? Go to a fortune teller with your Valentine and see what the future will hold. Don’t worry, you don’t need to kiss-and-tell.
10. Go to an Amusement Park - Riding the Ferris wheel can be very romantic, especially when it stops and you’re feeling like you’re on top of the world. Remember to kiss your Valentine when you’re staring at the stars together.
How will you be celebrating Valentine’s Day this year?
Julie Spira is a leading online dating expert and bestselling author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating. She creates irresistible profiles for singles on the dating scene. For more dating advice sign up for the Weekly Flirt newsletter, follow @JulieSpira on Twitter, and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert.
Photo credit: © Arcady – Fotolia.com
If you’re thinking of splurging on a big shiny diamond, fancy chocolate, or 2-dozen roses this Valentine’s Day to impress your date, don’t go rushing to break the bank. The clock is ticking as Valentine’s Day is tomorrow.
eHarmony asked over 350 women about what gifts they’d like on the most romantic day of the year, and the majority of those polled (87%) said that a gift wasn’t important to them. That’s right guys. Your best bet on Valentine’s this year is to just spend time with your date, girlfriend, or wife and not ignore the day. Grant Langston, eHarmomy’s Senior Director, Social Media says you should plan ahead and book a dinner reservation. Not sure where to go? Check out Open Table and see what restaurants are still available in your area and within your budget.
Think she’ll love a red teddy this year? Think again. It’s best to make your gift giving more personal, keep it simple, and stay away from lingerie. In eHarmony’s poll, a surprisingly majority of the women (97%) said anything, but lingerie.
Single daters on social dating site Zoosk seem to agree, with 58% of their 1200 singles polled saying flowers and chocolates are cliché.
I’ve gone on record saying that a confident man will ask a woman out for a first date on Valentine’s Day. A smart woman will accept the invitation. Zooskers seem to agree as 72% of the men and 58% of women think a Valentine’s first date is acceptable. Think about it, if you meet your online date on Valentine’s and it works out, it’s a terrific story to share with your friends and family.
eHarmony’s Grant Langston and I will be panelists on Digital LA’s Love Goes Digital Panel on February 13th in Santa Monica, CA talking about mobile and social dating for social media and digital enthusiasts.
At the end of the day, women don’t want you to forget Valentine’s Day. It’s the thought that matters, not the price tag of your gift. Your woman doesn’t want to be ignored on Valentine’s Day. So discard the pressure of having to make the day over-the-top and don’t fear Valentine’s Day. Remember it’s the thought that really counts.
Still feel the need to splurge? Check out our Irresistible Valentine’s Gift Guide and spoil yourself rotten. You deserve it.
Julie Spira is an online dating expert and founder of CyberDatingExpert.com. She creates irresistible profiles for singles on the dating scene. For more dating advice, sign up for the Weekly Flirt and follow @JulieSpira on Twitter and like her at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert
The Cyber-Dating Expert Weekly Flirt is now available for your reading pleasure. Sign up here to join our Weekly Flirt, share your online dating stories, and learn more about Dating in a Web 2.0 World.
We know you haven’t selected a Valentine’s gift for you or your sweetheart yet. With all of the advanced hype, selecting the perfect gift usually happens the day of, or a few days before. So instead of standing in a long line at Sees Candies or visiting Sprinkles in search the perfect cupcake, we’re proud to announce the 2012 Cyber-Dating Expert Irresistible and Romantic Valentine’s Gift Guide. Indulge yourself if you’re single. Spoil your Valentine if you’re taken.
Some of the gifts are so irresistible, well you just might want to keep them for yourself.
1. Valentino Couture Bow Pump
Put them on your wish list today. Cost: $645 Neimans Marcus
2. Tiffany – Heart Lock Pendant
Who wouldn’t enjoy opening a blue box with a white ribbon this Valentine’s Day? Tiffany’s Heart Lock Pendant will make a memorable impression without breaking the bank. Cost: $125 at Tiffany & Co.
3. Beats by Dr. Dre
For him, or her, enjoy these over-the-top and over-the-ear headphones.Perfect for listening to tunes while he’s watching the game, or for him to wear to tune her out and still keep smiling. Cost: $299 at Amazon. Beats Studio by Dr. Dre – Hi-Def Noise-Canceling Over-Ear Headphones,Red
4. Rescue Me Tote
Shouldn’t your four-legged loyal puppy be celebrating Valentine’s this year? Even if you’re pet-less, you’ll love this foxy feline Rescue Me Tote in pink, white, or red. Shop or dine in style while keeping your puppy happy. It gives a whole new meaning to puppy love. The signature paw-ware purse feet are too adorable for words. Cost $209.95 JCLA
5. Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
Sure, I’m friend with the authors, but it’s only because they wrote this awesome book. A great gift to give to your single girlfriends instead of staying home and male bashing alone.The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags: Relationship Warning Signs You Totally Spotted… But Chose to Ignore on Amazon.
6. Devil Made Me Do It Body Polish
Toss out the calories this Valentine’s and instead, indulge yourself with this chocoholic’s dream come true body scrub. The Devil Scrub exfoliates, softens, moisturizes and leaves your skin healthy, smooth and silky while emitting a beautiful and tantalizing aroma. Devilish indeed and only $12.50 at
7. Scarlet Fever Pochette
Designed by Deborah Sawaf, recipient of Fashion International Group’s Rising Star award, the Phone Pochette features a single chain with a leather shoulder strap for your iPhone, credit cards, and keys. He’ll be happy you won’t be hauling a suitcase as a purse on date nights. Cost: $120 ThaleBlanc.com
This brings new meaning to “Lost Without Your Love,” not. No matter where your sweetie travels, let him or her know you’ll be there when they come home with this fine pewter heart compass. One side carries the sentiment “my heart will guide you home,” the other side holds a compass. Cost $18.00. My Heart Will… Pocket Compass
9. Hanky Panky Thongs
Warning: This gift is for you to give to your guy for Valentine’s Day. Forget ties and cufflinks, oh so boring.
Give him the Hanky Panky Signature Lace Low Rise Thong 5-Pack Panty set an I.O.U. card, and he’ll be dreaming about your for days to come.
Cost: $90. Bare Essentials.
10. 15 Magic Minutes
Julie Spira is an online dating expert and bestselling author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Follow Julie on Twitter @JulieSpira and at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert.