The weekend is approaching and suddenly you realize your date card is empty.
The easiest solution is to log onto your favorite online dating site or mobile dating app and start swiping and writing to that cutie who has been sending you sweet little nothings, right?
Here’s the problem with rushing to respond to every email or text. You may be breaking the rules of netiquette.
- The auto-correct has become your worst nightmare.
- It doesn’t matter that you have multiple degrees and a big bank balance.
- What does matter is when you rush to reply and your grammar is a complete mess.
- Typos make you appear lazy and actually unintelligent.
The trend is to be casual when sending a text or email and if it’s to someone you’ve known for a while or a friend, it’s acceptable to abbreviate words. If you’re looking to make a great first impression in a crowded digital dating playground, you’ll be ignored or he or she will probably swipe left.
Here are a few examples of first texts and emails that will get ignored and how to fix them.
hey….saw your txt. wanna hang out this wknd?
What’s wrong with this one?
- hey. Horses hang out in hay. It’s too casual and you won’t appear like boyfriend or girlfriend material. You also haven’t taken the time to capitalize the letter H in hey. Swipe left.
- saw your txt. The caps button is there for a reason. It’s goal is to help you write a sentence where the first word is capitalized. txt, well why can’t you add one more letter and say text?
- Wanna hang out this wknd? Wanna isn’t a word, but you already knew that. wknd is short for weekend, but you knew that as well.
How r u doing?
What’s wrong with this one?
- r u. I know it’s obvious, but it again doesn’t show you at your most intellectual best.
- Take the time and write something more personal in a full sentence. A good example would be: Hi Patty! Happy Wednesday. How’s your day going so far?
Still stumped? I put together a list of 20 Flirty messages to capture his or her heart. Use this as your digital cheat-sheet and remember, sending a good morning and a good night text to someone you have a crush or your current girlfriend or boyfriend will make them think warm fuzzy thoughts about you all day and even into their dreams at night.
Related: Why Texting and Dating Make Women Anxious
Wishing you much love and joy in cyberspace, or wherever you may roam. xo
Julie Spira is America’s Top Online Dating and Mobile Dating Expert. She’s the founder of Cyber-Dating Expert and has been helping singles find love online for over 20 years. For more dating advice, sign up for the free Weekly Flirt newsletter and follow @JulieSpira on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Julie Spira is America's Top Online Dating Expert. She's an award-winning dating coach who's been helping singles find love online for 25+ years. Follow @JulieSpira on IG.