It’s National Romance Awareness Month. Although love and romance should be a part of your regular regime while dating, in a relationship, or marriage, it’s a great reminder to keep the spark alive in your relationship.
The Match Singles in America Study showed that 68% of single men want to find love this year, so love is in the air, on your mobile phones, and could easily fall into your lap this summer.
To celebrate National Romance month, here are 20 romantic things to do for your date, so they’ll be thinking about you all day long, while waiting to see you on date night.
20 ways to ramp up the romance
Newly Dating or Playing the Field
As one who spends a lot of time helping singles with their mobile dating and online dating profiles, I can’t help but stress that logging on and swiping right are one of the simplest ways to think about romance and relationships.
- When you log in daily, take extra time to compliment someone on his or her smile, eyes, or outfit.
- Always use their first name if you know it in messages or texts.
- Reply promptly to messages to keep the momentum going.
You’ll be surprised how quickly the boomerang effect will take place. You’ll feel like romance is just a click away.
Send Flirty Texts
I’m a huge fan of sending romantic text messages leading up to your date.
- Send a fun and flirty morning text message to let your date or significant other know that you’re excited about your date.
- Tell the person you’re dating that they’re your hero.
- Say you’re the luckiest person in the world to have met him or her.
- Add a few xoxo’s at the end of your messages to show affection.
Read: 20 Flirty Text Messages to Capture His Heart
Leave a Hand-Written Love Note
While I love the flirty texts, there’s something extra personal about receiving a hand-written note or card.
- Leave a surprise love note on their pillow or in the bathroom drawer for the object of your affection.
- Send a card in the mail with a stamp on it and let your sweetheart know what you mean to them.
- Remember to say ‘I love you.”
The best part is, it’s a keepsake and can be looked at during the days and nights in between your next date.
Smile and be Confident
Believe it or not, you actually feel happier and more confident even when you’re smiling while even talking on the telephone or texting. But when you’re out-and-about, wear that smile proudly in public.
- Nobody can imagine romance with a “Debbie” or “Donnie Downer,” so smile at the grocery store
- Smile while standing in line at the bank or waiting for your turn at the ATM, or in an exercise class.
You’ll come across as happier and don’t be surprised if a few heads turn.
First Date Rules – Be Proactive for Romance
Being passive on a date doesn’t help you in the romance department. Sure you don’t want to be too aggressive, but a survey from dating site Zoosk showed the squeaky wheel gets the romance deal.
- The survey said 34% of singles finding it most romantic when their date plans a surprise activity for their first date
- 27% liking to hold hands on the first date
- 25% actually enjoying it when their date leans in for that first memorable kiss.
Schedule Date Nights
If you already have a steady loved one, you know how often relationships can end up in a rut after the first three months. When the honeymoon period starts to wane, if you’re not dating your mate and creating romantic memories, it’s easy for the relationship to fizzle out.
- Pick the same day each week for “date night” and take turns selecting your date spot.
- You don’t have to break the bank, especially during Romance Awareness Month, as there are plenty of free concerts, where you can bring a picnic basket to.
- Take that beach walk that is listed in your dating profile. Being barefoot on the beach with your toes in the sand, or building a sandcastle is still an ultimate romantic date.
Read: 5 Ways to Create a Great Date Night
Introduce Your Date to Friends and Family
Do you want to show your love? Go out in public hand-in-hand with your partner and show some PDA.
- Take him or her to a family outing
- Plan a romantic weekend away and post photos as a couple
- Watch a romantic comedy or binge watch your favorite shows for a Netflix-and-Chill night.
What romantic rituals help you in your relationship?
Julie Spira is America’s Top Mobile and Online Dating Expert. She’s the founder of Cyber-Dating Expert. She’s the author of the bestseller, The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online and has been creating Irresistible Profiles for singles on the dating scene for over two decades.
Follow @JulieSpira on Twitter
Sign up for the free Weekly Flirt newsletter for dating advice.
Julie Spira is America's Top Online Dating Expert. She's an award-winning dating coach who's been helping singles find love online for 25+ years. Follow @JulieSpira on IG.