Many thanks to KTLA’s Rich DeMuro, who interviewed me for this fun segment on mobile dating on Tech Report.
We talked about new features on mobile dating apps to speed up your search to find a Valentine’s date. Watch this video to learn about the latest tips to better your odds on Match, Bumble, and Tinder apps.
Mobile dating apps are all the rage. There are new niche dating apps to help you find a Valentine. Are you making the most of these popular and apps?
MATCH – The world’s largest dating site has been rolling out new features for their members.
- Top Spot – For $2.99, your profile will appear at the top of a search for 60 minutes. Match says you’ll get three times more views with this feature. You’ll also appear the in top 6 search results when members are searching for someone like you. You can view the countdown of the time remaining during your Top Spot session. They actually show you the photos of who has viewed you in your search. You’ll also receive an activity summary via email once your session has expired.
- Missed Connections – This free mobile only feature helps you fill your date card faster after you’ve crossed paths with them. You’ll be matched with others who could have been in the same restaurant, supermarket, etc. You’ll have to opt-in to use this feature on your mobile app when it appears. Match says this will be less creepy that the old Craig’s List “Missed Connections” (we hope so). It’s similar to Happn’s location-based app, which is solely based on matching you with people you’ve crossed paths with. The trend of meeting IRL is important to dating apps and sites, to avoid ghosting, breadcrumbing, or just endless chats.
READ MORE: Match Adds New Missed Connections Feature
BUMBLE – This bumble bee hive apps let’s women make the first move. I call it the “Sadie Hawkins” of digital dating. Users set their distance and age parameters and start viewing matches. A simple swipe to the right says you’re interested. A swipe to the left says you’re not. If both parties swipe right, you’ll appear in the match queue, where the woman needs to strike up a chat within 24 hours. Once the match gets notified, they have to reply in 24 hours to get the chat going. If you swipe left in error, don’t worry. You get three free “backtracks” a day, where you shake your phone to see the photo you swiped left to.
Bumble Boost, their paid service, has a variety of pricing levels of one, three, or six months, or one year.
Bumble Boost has some fun premium features including:
- Beeline: You’ll see people who’ve liked you when you open up the app, instead of waiting to swipe right through profiles.
- Rematch: You can get matched again with someone you didn’t have time to start a convo with. Those profiles will have a grey circle around them.
- Extended Rematches: If you’re a busy bee, you can have unlimited extensions on your match. But then again, if you have time to open the app and extend, why not just say hello?
READ MORE: Bumble Makes Men Reply or Match Disappears
BumbleVid is their newest feature. You can post 10-second videos to your profile that will be deleted in 24 hours. I call it dating in a snapchat world.
TINDER – Tinder is losing the perception of only being a hook up app. Tinder reports that 80 % of their users are looking for something more meaningful. Plus they’re seeing 1.4 billion swipes a day!
- Smart Photos: This new feature will select your best photo and make it your primary profile shot. So if that selfie in the mirror doesn’t cut it, it will be moved to a secondary photo. It’s great because your best face will appear in a search.
READ MORE: Tinder Love Story: Adriana and Dave
Tinder Plus: This premium service costs about $9.99/month. You’ll get unlimited swipes, as compared to the free service. You’ll can also get back your last left swipe with their rewind feature, as often as you like.
- Passport: Planning a trip and looking to fill your date card before you arrive? Passport allows you to add other locations to search for and to appear in a search. Remember, dating apps are location-based, so your searches will show where you’re hanging out now. Just add a new city in a search and it will be on your Passport in your settings.
At the end of the digital day, there are an enormous amount of mobile dating apps. The average person using dating apps has downloaded 3.5 apps.
Wishing you much love and joy in cyberspace, or wherever you may swipe or roam. xo
Need a little help with your dating life? Find out how our Irresistible Coaching will help you find your dream date.
SIGN UP for the FREE Cyber-Dating Expert Weekly Flirt newsletter